Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Céad míle fáilte!

A hundred thousand welcomes to my blog (if you're just tuning in)! That's what this title means...it's pronounced "kayd meela fawlcha." I'm finally grounded in Cork. It's cloudy and cold, but the buildings and people are full of life. I'll try to post pictures soon...I don't want to be all tourist-y, but I do want good pictures so I'll just have to suck it up.

Interesting/funny things about UCC/Cork (at least from my experience thus far):
  • Almost ALL of the guys at UCC wear sweatpants. The ones who don't wear trackpants (or worse -- track suits).
  • The walk sign (that no one here pays attention to -- they just go) is a little green man...and I've heard people call it that.
  • They do indeed drive on the 'wrong' side of the road.
  • Corkonians walk really fast. I was told that they take their time with things. Well, that may be their lifestyle, but it's not their walking speed.
  • Their slang is the greatest. Maybe later I'll do a whole post about the colloquialisms I've heard/learned.
I know there are more, but I'm so tired. (It's about ten here, by the way.) I'm still totally jet-lagged. Plus, I don't have internet in my room yet, and I'm writing from a very chilly and kinda noisy common room. Once I'm all connected to the wireless, I'll be able to think clearly and give a full report of my experience so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment